The flea most commonly found in and around the home is the cat flea, Ctenocephalides felis. Despite its name, the cat flea finds dogs and humans quite tasty, too. Flea bites cause irritation and also serious allergies in some animals and humans. So how do you keep fleas away from your pets naturally?
Adult fleas spend almost all of their time on an animal’s body. In order to know when to begin and end your flea control efforts, treat your pet first with Flea & Tick for Pets + Home, your home next with Flea & Tick for Pets + Home, and your yard or outdoor area last with Flea & Tick for Yard + Garden. You want to break the cycle and treat the problem, not just treat your pets and hope the issue resolves itself!
NON-TOXIC CONTROLS INSIDE YOUR HOME
• Bathe dogs at least once a month. Use a natural pet shampoo. It is not necessary to use shampoo with chemical insecticides!
• Vacuum carpets, floors, and upholstered furniture frequently throughout the year. Vacuuming carpets picks up adult and egg-stage fleas, but is less effective at removing larvae. Clean cracks and crevices; or better still, seal permanently with caulk.
OUTSIDE YOUR HOME
• Treat outside with Flea & Tick for Yard + Garden, starting at the structure and move backwards. You want to spray the house (or building), the ground (concrete, grass, deck, etc.), the trees (as high as you can spray), all plant life, etc. Fleas tend to reside in shady areas more than areas in direct sunlight.
• Do not try to combat fleas by spraying around the perimeter of your house or spraying only part of your yard. That will only move them around to the untreated areas. You must cover all areas to create a barrier. The aroma of cedar to pests is like ammonia to humans. Insects hate it, and they will stay away!
• Check for wild animals like raccoons and opossums nesting under the house or porch. Dead animals can also be the source of a flea infestation. Treat nests under the house with Flea & Tick for Yard + Garden as well.
• Many people think that cold weather will kill off fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, etc., and for the most part, that just isn’t true. There has to be at least one hard freeze, and still, many species of insects have adapted egg layer cycles that lay dormant in the winter. They don’t die from the cold! You must control your environment year-round, or the spring and summer months will get worse every year.
• Be aware of your pets’ regular sleeping spaces so you can focus cleaning efforts on those areas. Spray the areas with Wondercide Flea & Tick for Pets + Home after you clean every time to ensure a pest-free area.
• Use washable pet bedding that can be gathered up easily by the four corners and laundered frequently. Soapy water destroys all flea stages, and you can even add a capful of Flea & Tick for Yard + Garden to the laundry for added repellency.
• Keep wild animals and rodents away from the house. Patch holes or cover them with screen (1/4″ hardware cloth) to prevent animals from getting in.