Fleas and ticks are a nuisance, and they can even be a health hazard. Even though we have many available options to control fleas and ticks without resorting to dangerous chemicals, the Environmental Protection Agency still allows harmful pesticides to be used in flea collars.
Flea collars with the pesticide propoxur are a particular problem because of the toxicity of the chemical and the ease with which children can be exposed. The collars are designed to gradually release a pesticide residue onto the fur of a dog or cat, which can pose a risk to pets and their owners, particularly children. These collars remain on the market despite assessments by the EPA and NRDC that demonstrate a high level of risk for young children.
Propoxur is toxic to the nervous system and can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, wheezing, sweating and tearing eyes; it is also known to cause cancer. Severe poisoning can cause muscle twitching, seizures, respiratory paralysis and even death. Young children are particularly susceptible to pesticides’ effects because their nervous systems and brains are still developing, and their ability to metabolize these chemicals is weaker than that of adults. In addition, kids often put their hands in their mouths after petting an animal, and so they are more likely to ingest the hazardous residues.
NRDC has repeatedly petitioned the EPA to ban the use of propoxur in flea collars based on the agency’s flawed assessment of risks and an independent study that found dangerous levels of pesticide residue on the fur of dogs treated with propoxur flea collars. In response, the EPA conducted its own risk assessment and this time also found high levels of risk for children.Treat Fleas Naturally and Safely Here!
What to do:
Send a message urging the EPA to follow the science and protect children by banning this dangerous and unnecessary chemical in flea collars. SEND MESSAGE
This information is provided by the National Resource Defense Council. Please go to www.NRDC.org to learn more and take Action!